GUIDELINES: APPLICATIONS FOR BURSARIES TO ATTEND JAZZAHEAD! DIGITAL EDITION 29 APRIL – 2 MAY 2021
DEADLINE: 6pm FRIDAY 12 MARCH 2021
What is jazzahead! 2021?
jazzahead! is the largest gathering of world-class professional delegates working in jazz. In 2019, 3408 delegates representing 64 countries attended the jazzahead! Trade Fair, with a total of 25,000 visitors in total attending the jazzahead! Festival. The event also features showcases and conference sessions, alongside a very significant opportunity to network with industry professionals from all over the globe: record labels, publishers, distributors, artist managers, broadcasters and journalists.
Due to the Covid19 pandemic, the 2020 edition of jazzahead! did not take place and, in the ongoing situation, the announcement has been made that the 2021 edition will be a virtual one.
“We will offer a variety of networking opportunities, from one-on-one meetings to larger groups and even for chance encounters. Panels and workshops will also be realized digitally, with exciting content that is of relevance and importance to the international scene. The jazzahead! digital aims to provide the best possible professional conditions for exchange within the international scene and the participants, despite the pandemic, in keeping with the motto “close together from afar” jazzahead!
Further information can be found at www.jazzahead.de/en
Participants of jazzahead! 2021 receive:
- Access to the digital trade fair, including all showcase concerts and events of the conference program as well as networking tools
- Access to monthly Virtual Sessions via Zoom, with changing experts and exciting topics
- Entry in the attendee directory and login to the jazzahead! participant portal
- Funding for bursaries to attend jazzahead! 2021
The bursaries are funded by Creative Scotland and administered by Glasgow Jazz Festival. Creative Scotland believes that attendance at jazzahead! encourages and enables people working in Scotland’s jazz and improvised music scenes to develop international connections that enhance their careers through future collaborations, bookings, etc. Creative Scotland recognises that these connections take time to develop and may not produce instant ‘results’. However, representing Scottish jazz and improvised music internationally is an important part of reflecting the full depth and breadth of Scotland’s creative talent. Engagement with jazzahead! is part of a long-term approach to strengthening the domestic scene with more international opportunities in ways that have had strong positive results in other genres.
Who can apply for a bursary to attend jazzahead! 2021?
Scotland-based jazz and improvising musicians, their representatives or organisations are now invited to apply for a 2021 Delegate Bursary. Successful applicants must be able to demonstrate that they are ready to take advantage of this opportunity. We envisage supporting up to 30 delegates to attend the digital event (both new and returning delegates). Unfortunately students are not eligible for this fund.
What does the bursary cover?
The selected delegates will receive a fixed fee of £175 to cover: –
– Conference registration fee (EUR 125)
– Contribution towards the creation of digital promotion material for the event
Bursaries will be paid in two instalments: –
– £125 following notice of successful application
– £50 upon receipt of evaluation form post-event
Successful applicants will be expected to undertake their own registration process.
Who will make the decisions on the bursaries?
The applications will be assessed by a panel of industry professionals, including representatives from Glasgow Jazz Festival and Creative Scotland, who will aim to select a cohort of delegates that best represents the vibrancy and diversity of Scotland’s jazz scene. We will let applicants know who was on the panel when we inform them of the outcome of their applications.
In return for the bursary, what does attendance at jazzahead! 2021 involve?
It is a condition of funding that all selected delegates:
- Participate in an online pre-event briefing session with other delegates before the event. This is likely to take place in March.
- Create digital promotional material for use at the event.
- Commit to attending jazzahead! 2021 Digital edition.
- Provide feedback after the event: this will form part of the evaluation for funders, including participation in an online post-event meeting, likely to take place in May.
Individuals and organisations
In order for artists to be able to make the most of this opportunity, we’re looking for people who can:
Show that their work is of a high quality, innovative, rooted in the jazz music genre and is suitable for the jazzahead! market. Potential delegates are advised to consult the attendee list on the website to get an understanding of which organisations and individuals attend the event: www.jazzahead.de/en
- Demonstrate a committed track-record of working professionally in the Scottish jazz scene.
- Demonstrate that they and their work are ready to tour or export to an international market once restrictions allow for this.
- Demonstrate that they will be able to clearly communicate, express and promote their work and practice to potential partners (promoters, labels, commissioners, artists).\
- Convey what they aim to achieve by attending jazzahead! 2021 and why this point in their career is an appropriate time to do so.
- Open to individuals, groups and organisations working in jazz and improvised music in Scotland. Applications accepted from one representative per organisation, but we will consider more than one in exceptional circumstances.
- Organisations in receipt of Creative Scotland RFO funding are ineligible to apply. However, individuals who are employed by an RFO but have their own distinctive artistic practice may apply to attend if they wish to represent their own work and not the work of the RFO.
- Students are not eligible to apply to this fund.
- Applicants must be currently based in Scotland.
- Applications Open – 1 March 2021
- Deadline for Applications – 12 March 2021, 6pm
- Decision Making Panel meet virtually – w/c 15 March 2021
- When you will hear the decision – By 19 March 2021
- Pre-Event Briefing – w/c 29 March 2021
- jazzahead! Digital Edition takes place – 29 April – 2 May 2021
Further information and how to apply
If you have any queries about jazzahead!, this bursary programme or would like to speak to someone before submitting your application please email email@example.com with ‘JAZZAHEAD! DIGITAL 2021’ in the subject line.
Applicants should complete the application form available to download here
Please submit your completed form, along with any supporting materials in one email, to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6pm on Friday 12th March 2021. * If you require more time to complete your application, please email before the deadline for a 48 hour extension *